2022 Municipal Election Results
Anyone can vote in a municipal election who, on the day of the election, is:
- 18 years of age or older
- a Canadian citizen; and
- either a resident of the municipality or a property owner or tenant or the spouse or same sex partner of an owner or tenant in the municipality during a specified time just before the election.
You must be on the voters' list in order to be able to cast a ballot. The preliminary list has been created by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) based on data it keeps on home ownership and tenancy.
This list is sent to the municipal clerk in advance of the regular election. The clerk can correct any errors on the list, and the corrected list becomes the voters' list.
How to request a change to the voters' list
Changes or additions can be made to the list. If you are not on the voters' list or if your information is incorrect (for example, you have moved but your former address is still showing on the list), you may apply to have your name added or to have your information corrected using Form EL-15. The EL-15 (attached here) can be filled out and printed, or a copy can be obtained at the Customer Service Centre, 10 Lisgar Ave., along with a piece of Acceptable Voter Identification.
To be eligible as a candidate in the Town of Tillsonburg municipal election, you must meet the following requirements:
- a resident of the municipality or a non-resident owner or tenant of land in the municipality or the spouse of such non-resident owner or tenant
- a Canadian citizen and at least 18 years old
- not legally prohibited from voting and not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office.
Any individual looking to run for municipal office must file his or her nomination papers no later than 2 pm on August 19, 2022.
- The Nomination period is now closed and Candidates have been certified.
The campaign period begins once a nomination paper or notice of registration is filed with the Clerk.
- election expenses cannot be incurred outside of the campaign period
- corporations and trade unions are no longer eligible to contribute to municipal election campaigns. This includes all council and school board elections. Corporations and trade unions can be third party advertisers and make contributions to third party advertisers.
- a candidate who does not accept any contributions of money, or incur any expenses, is not required to open a separate election bank account
- nomination filing fee is not considered a campaign expense
- candidates are responsible for keeping records of the financial activities related to their campaign. Remember to issue receipts for all donations of goods or services, obtain receipts for expenses incurred and keep copies of all receipt
It is the responsibility of the candidate to file a complete and accurate financial statement on time. Candidates should completely familiarize themselves with the appropriate sections of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.
Voter's List Revision Period
- September 1, 2022 to October 24, 2022 (prior to close of polls at 8 pm)
Voting Period for Electors
- Starting at 9 am on Thursday, October 13, 2022 and closing on Monday, October 24, 2022 at 8 pm
Term of New Council
- November 15, 2022 to November 14, 2026
For further information about Ontario's municipal and school board elections please see:
- Ministry of Municipal Affairs 2022 Election Guide for Candidates
- Ministry of Municipal Affairs 2022 Election Guide for Voters
Please check back as we anticipate updates closer to the election.
The Town Clerk serves as the Returning Officer for Municipal Elections, and is responsible for planning and executing a municipal election every four years or a By-Election if so required in accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.
The Town Clerk fulfils a number of statutory duties in the management and delivery of the municipal election, including but not limited to:
- Training Elections Staff (i.e. Poll Clerks, Revision Clerk, Tabulators, etc.)
- Establishing & Managing Polling Stations
- Maintaining the Voter's List
- Receiving Candidate Nominations
- Declaring & Posting Notice of Election Results
- Maintaining Election Records, including Candidate Campaign Expenses
The 2018 Town of Tillsonburg municipal election was held on Monday, October 22, 2018.
Candidate Financial Statements
The filing deadline is on or before 2:00 p.m. on Friday March 29, 2018.