Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Applications, Licences and Permits

| Print This Page |

customer service centre with blossoms

Learn more about applications, licences and permits using the selections below: 

Building Certificate
Building Certificate form can be obtained online and can be submitted by email or mailed to the Customer Service Centre at 10 Lisgar Avenue.
Building/Demolition Permit

A Building/Demolition Permit Application is available in two formats:

If you have questions, please contact the Tillsonburg Customer Service Centre located at 10 Lisgar Ave, Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Cat and Dog Licences

The Animal Control Bylaw requires that all dogs and cats in Tillsonburg be licensed annually. Licences can be purchased online or at the following locations:



Tillsonburg Customer Service Centre
10 Lisgar Ave.

Family Pet Centre
107 Concession St. E.

589 Broadway

Civil Wedding Ceremony

As provided for under the authority given by the Government of Ontario and in accordance with the Ontario Marriage Act, the Municipal Clerk and Deputy Clerk may solemnize Civil Marriages.

  • Officiant services are held in Council Chambers
    • offered Monday to Friday
    • services may be scheduled any time between 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
    • services are not available on the second and fourth Monday of the month due to Council meetings (unless otherwise posted)

Officiants may also conduct ceremonies at a different location, and/or outside of regular business hours upon request. 


Civil Wedding Fees
  • Ceremony held in Council Chambers - $250 (+HST)
  • Ceremony held at another location - $300 (+HST)
  • Per Witness (Only available in Council Chambers) - $25/witness (+HST)
  • Travel Outside of Town limits - current mileage rate
  • Marriage Licence - $130

The Civil Wedding Fee includes a pre-consultation with the officiant, use of Council Chambers (if taking place on-site), registration of the Civil Wedding ceremony, preparation of the Record of Solemnization and submission of the completed Marriage Licence to the Registrar General.

Civil Wedding Information Package

View the Civil Wedding Information Package, which includes:

  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Ceremony Guidelines
  • Ceremony Options
  • Pre-Ceremony Information Questionnaire
  • Booking Agreement
Book a Civil Wedding Ceremony
To book a Civil Wedding Ceremony, please complete the on-line Civil Marriage Services Booking Form, or contact the Office of the Clerk at 519-688-3009 Ext. 4041. 
Encroachment Permit

An Encroachment Permit is required when you want to temporarily occupy any portion of the Town's right-of-way or public lands for some kind of activity. The Encroachment Permit process helps ensure steps are taken to keep pedestrians, vehicles and the general public safe while the activity is taking place.

Please note: If you have hired a Contractor, the Contractor must apply for the encroachment permit.


When is a permit typically required?

  • when construction companies, contractors or residents want to use a portion of the right-of-way or public lands for the temporary placement of containers, materials, and vehicles used in the construction process
  • for special events that require use of the sidewalk or right-of-way (i.e. sidewalk sales, charity events)

What will you need?

We've developed a guide that will explain exactly the steps you need to take in order to apply for an encroachment permit. It is recommended that you read this guide prior to applying. 

Review Guide


Apply Now

You can apply for an encroachment permit online. If you have any difficulties, please send an email to and staff will assist you.

Apply Now 



*Please note - Internet Explorer is not supported. Please use Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Safari.

Lottery Licence

The Town of Tillsonburg has the authority to issue lottery licences to eligible organizations that are based within the boundaries of the Town of Tillsonburg. The Lottery Licensing Officer will determine a group’s eligibility to conduct lotteries with the following prerequisites being mandatory for an organization to be considered eligible:

  • Organizations must have been in existence for at least one year before being considered eligible, and
  • The organization must have a place of business in Ontario, demonstrate that it is established to provide charitable services in Ontario and use proceeds for objects or purposes which benefit Ontario residents.

Click on the links below to view applications and Terms and Conditions for lottery schemes which include bingos, raffles, break open tickets and social gaming events:

Additional information is also available from our office or online from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario website at


Marriage Licence

Marriage licences are issued at the Customer Service Centre located at 10 Lisgar Ave, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

The cost for a marriage licence is $130. Payment can be made by cash or by Interac.


*Please note that a licence will not be issued to anyone residing in a "Grey - Lockdown" area as categorized in the Keeping Ontario Safe and Open COVID-19 Response Framework.


Marriage Licence Application
The Marriage Licence Application Form must be completed and signed by both parties to the marriage. 

One of the applicants must be present to purchase a marriage licence.  If only one person is attending, two (2) original pieces of government issued identification must be provided for both parties.

Age Restrictions
Individuals applying for a marriage licence must be a minimum of 16 years of age. Applicants between the ages of 16 and 17 require parental consent. Parental Consent Forms can only be signed during regular office hours. For more information please contact the Customer Service Centre at 519-688-3009. 
Two (2) pieces of original government issued identification must be provided for each applicant when an application is submitted for a marriage licence. Only original pieces of identification will be accepted. Birth certificates are preferred. A baptism certificate, driver's licence or valid passport will be accepted if a birth certificate is not available.
Previous Marriage

If one or both of the applicants applying for a marriage licence has been divorced and the divorce was granted in Canada, the original or a certified true copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be provided. Divorce judgments will not be accepted. 

Divorces granted outside of Canada require Registrar General authorization. Contact Service Ontario for more information.

If one or both of the applicants are widowed, a copy of the death certificate is required.

Licence Expiry
Once a marriage licence has been issued, it is valid for a period of three (3) months. Upon expiry, a new marriage licence would need to be obtained. No refunds can be provided for marriage licences issued.
Minor Variance Application
County planning staff are at the Customer Service Centre on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to discuss your project.

Planning staff can provide professional advice and recommendations for your minor variance application.

Retail of Consumer Fireworks Licence

By-Law 4293 regulates the sale, display and discharge of fireworks within the Town of Tillsonburg. A Retail of Consumer Fireworks Licence is required to display and sell Consumer Fireworks. 

In accordance with the current Rates and Fees By-Law (2019) the fee to review an application for a licence to sell consumer fireworks (F.1) including a site inspection and review of ire Safety Plan is $185 plus HST.

Licences are valid from the date of issue until December 31 of the year issued.

Sign Permits
Signage and other forms of outdoor advertising are important to the success of many businesses. Building and By-law Services uses a permit process to make sure signs in Tillsonburg:
  • are the appropriate size
  • are put in proper locations
  • are built and installed correctly so they aren't dangerous to the public
  • don't negatively impact neighbouring properties
Sign Regulations

By-law 3798 regulates signs, advertising devices and the posting of notices in Tillsonburg.

The application process for sign permits varies depending on whether a sign is temporary or permanent.

Sign Variance
Sign Variance Application for a Minor or Major Variance to the Sign By-Law
Site Plan Control Approval Process
 The purpose of the Site Plan Control approval process is to:
  • Ensure development enhances and is compatible with the surrounding area in terms of character, use and scale;
  • Present a favourable image of the Town to visitors, potential investors and residents;
  • Contribute to a safe, functional and visually attractive built environment for all users;
  • Ensure the development is compatible with the natural environment of both the surrounding area and downstream areas; and
  • Ensure that the Towns technical requirements (Engineering, Planning, Recreation, Fire, Building, Public Works) are satisfied.

Applicants are encouraged to review the Site Plan Approval Guidelines prior to submitting a Site Plan Application Form. If you require further assistance please contact the Customer Service Centre at 519-688-3009.

Zone Change Application
County planning staff are at the Customer Service Centre on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to discuss your project.
Planning staff can provide professional advice and recommendations for your zone change application.
Zoning Certificate
Zoning Certificate form can be obtained online and can be submitted by email or mailed to the Customer Service Centre at 10 Lisgar Avenue.


Town of Tillsonburg
10 Lisgar Ave,
Tillsonburg, Ontario
N4G 5A5

Phone: 519-688-3009
Fax: 519-688-0759