Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Building Permit

| Print This Page |

view from inside a house under construction

Building/Demolition Permit Applications

A Building/Demolition Permit Application can be obtained online, or at the Tillsonburg Customer Service Centre.

Building/Demolition Permit Application

Building Permit Fee Schedule- Effective January 29, 2019

Frequently Asked Questions

 When is a permit required?
  • Any structure over 10 sq.m. (107 sq.ft.).
  • Any addition to a structure, regardless of the size of the addition.
  • Interior alterations for non-residential units.
  • Interior alterations for residential units if; a bedroom is created, a garage is converted to living space, a seasonal room converted to a year round use, a new dwelling unit is being created, etc.
  • Installation of solid fuel appliances (i.e. woodstoves and fireplaces)
  • Any structural changes or repairs.
  • A new entrance
  • A new window/door opening or a larger window/door in width.
  • A deck
  • A shed over 10 sq.m. (107 sq.ft)
  • Adding new dormers.
  • Enclosing a porch.
  • Any change of use to a greater hazard (see O.B.C.
  • Signs installed on an exterior building face or roof.
  • Free standing and portable signs.
  • Any installation or alteration of a plumbing system (water supply, drain, waste or vent).
  • Converting from a well or septic to Town water or sanitary sewer.
 When is a permit not required?
  • A building permit is not required for a detached accessory structure (gazebo, tool shed, etc.) that measures 10 metres square (108 square feet) in area or less*.
  • Installing asphalt shingles on a roof
  • Minor roof sheathing repairs
  • Repointing of brick veneer
  • Replacing siding
  • Replacing doors or windows (provided they are in the same size opening)
  • Kitchen or bathroom cabinets (not including plumbing)
  • New flooring
  • Installation of air conditioning units or heat pumps
  • Fences (not enclosing a pool - see Fence By-Law requirements)
  • Pool heaters
  • Painting and decorating
  • Landscaping

*Note: Although a building permit may not be required, your project must still comply with the Ontario Building Code, Zoning By-Law and any other applicable law/regulations/standards, etc.

 I am not sure whether I require a permit - what should I do?
Contact the Building Services Department at (519) 688-3009 with details of the work you're planning. Our staff will be able to assist you in determining if a permit is required.


Additional Resources - Doing it Right!